Thursday, May 18, 2017

98: Watercolour Painting: A Rural Landscape | Imaginary | Whatman Paper

A Landscape... An Imaginary Landscape... An Imaginary Rural Landscape... 

Watercolour on 100+ year old Whatman Paper! 
14" x 10"

The Whatman Paper... more than 100 years old... from my stock of my great-grandfather's legacy of handed-down art material... still very intact... no tearing, no crumbling... only a bit of yellowing of the paper... a lot of yellowing in fact... it was all rolled into a massive roll all packed away neatly on the loft... took it down, unfurled it... it kept rolling up... so with massive efforts rolled it up the other way & tied it & put it away for a few days untill it regained its flat self again... then cut the sheets to size to use them... this is one of the first attempts on it... was sceptical how it would  turn out... the behaviour of the paper in terms of watercolour painting was way different from the current sets of handmade watercolour papers that I was used to by now... but got around to understanding its texture & adapting it to take in the watercolour techniques of today... was fun... more fun & nostalgic to think that my great-grandfather & then my grandfather & then my father all used this same paper... that they actually handled this very same paper... it was as if I could feel their touch, sense their being around it... & now I have the priviledge to use it... it is simply beyond my ability to explain how exhilerating that is... only hope I can do enough justice to it & live up to their standards even if remotely! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any query do email me

231: Watercolour Landscape Painting: Pune, Maharashtra, India

Plein Air Landscape Painting of a math in Pune, Maharashtra, India... ... another popular location of artists... this math provides a serene...